The coronavirus and COVID-19 have dramatically disrupted routine, everyday life for most of us. Not much is the way it was and may never be again. But the real estate industry is still humming along, and, as a result, people still have to move. But how can moving be done safely in these trying and unprecedented times? To answer that question, we offer these 6 tips to help you move during COVID in Philipstown, Cold Spring.
1. Choose a Virtual Moving Survey
As with anything else right now, a move during COVID in Philipstown, Cold Spring should limit close personal contact as much as possible. Moving, while largely an in-person business, still has some room to reduce having people in close proximity. And the top area here is the moving survey or assessment.
According to moving experts, “you can start your move with a safe, no-touch and germ-free option: a virtual moving survey.” Instead of having moving-company employees come to your home to do a survey and give you an estimate, “they will perform the survey using a FaceTime- or Skype-like service.”
Such a virtual walk-through prior to your move during COVID provides the following benefits:
- Reduced personal contact for health and safety
- Enhanced security
- Greater convenience
2. Designate One Overseer
Another thing you can do to reduce the risk for a move during COVID in Philipstown, Cold Spring is to designate one person to oversee the move. Typically, moving involves the whole family, with everyone pitching in to do different jobs. It’s far better, though, to limit the number of people who can potentially be exposed to the coronavirus during the move.
So moving pros advise “having [only] one family member interacting with our movers on move day if possible. That person, after a brief overview of the move with the . . . moving team leader, should excuse themselves and remain in a different area of the home during the duration of the move.” This will help “maintain proper social distancing during the move to protect you, as well as the . . . moving team.”
3. Keep Critical Supplieson Hand
Still, social distancing cannot always be practiced during a move during COVID in Philipstown, Cold Spring, and some close contact will be inevitable. That’s why it’s imperative to have on hand and readily available all then necessary cleaning supplies.
And, according to experts, this is why: “To protect everyone during a move, yourself, crew and drivers should be washing hands using antibacterial soap for 20 seconds and at regular intervals.” Most moving crews will adhere to “CDC-compliant sanitation policies, but in an abundance of caution, please make sure you have [hand sanitizer] available as well to make it as easy as possible.”
You should also be sure to disinfect frequently touched objects like doorknobs and countertops.
4. Prioritize Family Health and Safety
Similarly, prioritize your family’s health and safety throughout a move during COVID and be ready to make necessary adjustments. Following are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- It may be better to postpone the move if possible if you are among the high-risk individuals – for example if you are over 60 years old or have any pre-existing conditions or lowered immunity.
- If you or anyone in your family tests positive for COVID, contact your movers to find the best solution.
5. Check Mover Flexibility
Because everything is so uncertain now and things can change rapidly, make sure your chosen mover can be flexible. Any number of things can happen to alter plans and schedules, so check into your mover’s flexibility and willingness to work with you.
Here are are a few of the questions you should ask:
- “How easy – or hard – is it to change your moving dates?”
- “What type of deposit is required?”
- “If you need to cancel your move, will you get a full refund?”
6. Take Extra Precautions
A move during COVID in Philipstown, Cold Spring demands that you take extra precautions. These moving precautions include:
- Not using recycled or previously used boxes – The coronavirus can live on surfaces for some time. You’re better off, then, using new boxes and packing materials.
- Wiping down with disinfectant all boxes and objects when packing and before unpacking – This will help reduce the chance of introducing COVID into your new home.
- Providing the moving crew with the needed supplies for hand washing and disinfecting – We’ve already mentioned this, but it bears repeating. I will help you and everyone involved in the move avoid risk and opportunities to spread the virus.
Check With Your Agent to Move During COVID
Finally, be sure to check with you Philipstown, Cold Spring real estate agent. Your agent understands the process of moving and the risks involved in a move during COVID in Philipstown, Cold Spring. Ask your agent about the best practices to stay risk-free and remain healthy. Find out more by sending us a message or giving us a call at (914) 407-3322.